Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Day With Grandma

I've been going back and forth between the small font and normal font size. I think I prefer the small font size. I wish there was a size in between the two, that would be perfect. The normal font is too big and the small is too small, haha, oh well. This past Wednesday I chauffeured my grandparent's around. Our first stop was the prosthetic clinic to adjust my grandpa's prosthesis, then it was the Korean market on Western & 1st. There's a lot to see in these Asian markets. Just like the different brands of mayo, you've got different brands of kimchi,dried anchovy, seaweed, chili flakes etc., which makes it hard to buy the best tasting one especially if you're unfamiliar with it all. It helps to take someone knowledgeable about those things with you when you go.


Picture Descriptions:
  1. Flats adorned with jewels- they make me smile
  2. Grandma picking out the best radish for her spicy chongak kimchi.
  3. My favorite, it's called boonguhbang (it's like a fish-shaped pancake filled with red bean paste).
  4. Tubs of peeled garlic- the main ingredient in Korean cooking, love it!
  5. Dried anchovies- another important ingredient
  6. Close up of dried anchovies
  7. Kimchi- supposedly the cure for SARS,(check out the LA times article, hee hee)
  8. Fish- If fresh,it should smell like the ocean. It shouldn't smell too fishy.
  9. Korean side dishes called banchan (they're not appetizers, they're dishes that go along with your meal)
  10. Pastry shop across the market, Paris Baguette
  11. Meatless Wednesday: vegetarian dinner consisting of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, radish, sauteed zucchini and onions.

No comments: