Sunday, April 11, 2010

Eight Miles

Wow, I can't believe we ran 8 miles on Saturday because even running 3 miles is hard for me, but to run 8 miles?! Crazy. Couple days ago I watched a documentary about the Kona Ironman World Championship and when I saw the different stories that led each participant to the championship, I was moved to tears. There was a story of a woman who suffered a stroke and was left with partial paralysis throughout her body, a man who is 78 years old that was competing in his 20th Ironman race, a man that lost his leg and was running with a special prosthesis- these are just a few of the many stories behind these athletes. It made me reevaluate my inner strength and mental fitness. I realized that I'm pretty weak and often don't push myself to my full potential. Running is hard, but I think that 80 percent of it is mental and so with new determination I set out to complete 8 miles.  As hard as it was, it was totally manageable. Maybe it was the cliff shot that I took before I ran, but I'd like to think that it was a new mindset and attitude that helped me that day. 

After the run, Tim made an awesome breakfast sandwich consisting of an egg omelet (green onions, feta cheese, cheddar cheese) and black forest ham. I made the fruit smoothie (6 frozen strawberries, handful of frozen blueberries, one banana, one kiwi and one peach flavored yogurt drink). I encourage everyone to make fruit smoothies at home. I might have said this before in a previous blog entry, but it tastes very similar to Jamba juice without the extra calories of sherbet ice cream and you save money too, because these days it'll cost you 4 dollars minimum for a 16 oz smoothie at Jamba.

No comments: