Sunday, May 2, 2010

Honey Pig, Bibim Gooksoo and Cupcakes

1. pork belly & kimchi chillin' on the grill, 2. pork belly kimchi fried rice, 3. bibim gooksoo (spicy cold noodles), 4. Cupcakes from Frosted Cupcakery

I've been really forgetful lately and haven't been carrying my camera around with me. As a result all the pictures for this post was taken by my brother via blackberry. Friday night he treated us out to Honey Pig in Ktown, omg, this place rocks. First, I love the atmosphere and the layout of this place. It feels open even though it's jammed packed with people surrounding each grill. You see smoke rising up from the grills all across the room and the aroma is heavenly. It's tasty, savory, drool worthy food like this that makes it really hard for me to even try to become a vegetarian. The real treat comes after all the meat is eaten. The waitress comes around and makes fried rice right on the grill pan and the grease from the pork, the seasoning from the grilled kimchi and vegetables permeate each grain of rice. The super hot grill creates my favorite favorite part of the meal...noolungji, it's basically a crust of rice that is formed by the heat of the grill pan. 

For lunch, we visited my grandparents and my grandma made another favorite Korean dish called bibimgooksoo which is composed of thin cold noodles, red bean paste, sesame oil, a little bit of sugar and salt, squash, cooked sliced eggs and little bits of marinated beef- YUM YUM. On our way home, we stopped by Frosted Cupcakery where my brother picked up a dozen cupcakes and I got three. Tonight, I'll be eating some kimchi jigae full of sliced pork belly, pan fried potstickers and some banchan (Korean side dishes) that my grandma made me.

No comments: